Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Book Review: Ghost Story by Jim Butcher

I am not really sure what I want to say about this book. I was super excited to get it because the end of the last book made me throw it. I think there were a lot of really fun elements that had not been in the previous books because of that fact that Dresden was a ghost the entire story. (spoiler warning) I really loved the whole thing with Uriel and that fact that Murphy's dad talks back to him. I mean I giggled for some time about that.

The sad fact is that now I am completely caught up with the entire series, so now I have to wait for the next release because there are no more for me to request at the library. Which is just very sad for me seeing as the majority of things I read are now like that.

The characters were kind of what got to me in this book. I mean there was like no Thomas at all, and I loves him and all his silly ways. I wish we had seen more of him in some way. Murphy being all paranoid kind of was depressing as well, I don't know I wanted it to be more like the fan fictions I have read (I can't believe I just said that, some one get me and MRI!) where she is at least on board with what is happening and talks to him. But she spends the entire book doubting him and I feel like she misses out on closure, but of course I also know that he is not really dead so it doesn't count.

Butters and Bob being friends on the other hand is crazy fun for lots of reasons. Molly going off the deep end is sorta not as much fun and I really wanted to  know what was happening with the Wardens. I mean I need to know what is going on with them.

Then end is what has me on the fence. This is the second cliff hanger ending in the series. I am just not sure if I am a fan of putting tension that the end of the books this way when it was never done before. I mean most of the early books wrapped up with either something funny or sort of a thought provoking idea. But this mid action stop is different, and it makes me crazy because I really want to know what happens next. I mean I am freaking out just a bit, which I suppose is better for Mr. Butcher because I now stalk his website but It makes me twitchy when there is a cliff hanger end.

I loved the book, don't get me wrong I finished it in about a day. But I am sad that I have to wait now. Also it was sorta of weird to have a book where Dresden wasn't really able to be Dresden.

No comments:

Post a Comment