Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Book Review: The Darkest Secret by Gena Showalter

Secret is the seventh book in Showalter's Lords of the Underworld series. The series follows a group of immortal warriors who back in the day opened Pandora's box and then were cursed to carry the demons they released. They fight a group of humans who are lead by one of their former members. The series is perhaps one of my more favorite paranormal romance series out there. Most of the characters are a wide aray of interesting and crazy.

Amun is the lead warrior for this story and I would say while I found him interesting he was never really one of the big draws. He is the keeper of Secrets and thus doesn't speak for fear that the secrets he holds in his head will spill out and ruin people's lives. In previous books he communicated through sign language and mostly didn't have much to say. And while a few of the warriors have weaknesses I never really saw a huge issues with Amun not talking, I mean its not that huge of a handicap. But thing again having your mind filled with thousands of secrets of others doesn't sound pleasant.

Playing opposite Amun is Haidee or Hadiee or whatever. She is a semi-immortal who back in the day cut of Amun's best friend's head. Which you would think would have made some complications. But not really, they are both kind of like "what behading?" I will say that the reasons that they would not work out were in fact numerous but were treated like it was no big deal. I can't tell if I was just having trouble connecting with the characters or what but I just couldn't get into the book.

Oh I still read it in one day, but it just wasn't my favorite story out of the series. I was interested in what is going on with Strider, William and Paris. Because those three have issues. Mostly Paris and I find it hard that Showalter has been teasing me with his book for several books now. I checked the website and his book is two away, and it said heroine unknow, which is silly because we all know who it is.

I think there was a real potential with these characters to do something really crazy plot wise, but we ended up with what I consider a safe story. True they did go to hell for their little adventure but the tension wasn't crazy high. I miss the days when Aeron was trying to kill Danika. Anyway the part that bothered me the most was the end. Haidee dies and then the angel is like "she is not coming back" and then she comes back. It is not explained, they are just sorta like "well that's really awesome." I mean yes they were saying that she was born from a goddess blessed womb and had reborn a bunch of times but mister angel had been pretty sure she wasn't coming back.

I still liked the book and found a great deal of it worth while but this just sort of felt rushed. As much as I love the publishing rate that Showalter keeps up maybe she could slow it down to give each book extra time.

No comments:

Post a Comment