Monday, January 3, 2011

Book Review: The Mamoth Book of Paranormal Romance

Its really hard to review an anthology, especially one this size. In fact I have yet to finish the book, but I am far enough in that I can say a few things about it. I would like to take a moment to say that my next few statements may be taken the wrong way but need to be said.

Size does matter. It really does. Bigger is better, lots of small make for very little fun. Every time I start to really get into it suddenly its over. I am left feeling rather unfulfilled. Literally every story ends right when it gets good. Right as I get a grasp of the characters and why I should like each one and what their motivations are the story is over. In nearly every single one the romance feels rushed and out of place in half the stories. In a few stories I was surprised and confused when the romance came out of left field.

This book really did sound like a stellar idea. Get a ton of popular paranormal romance writers and put short stories together. The book looked huge so I thought everything would be okay until I noticed the sheer number of names. There is a very good reason that most anthologies only have about three or four authors and they are the size of a regular book, and that is because it takes that much time and space to write any kind of decently developed short story.

While most of the stories have a good start they don't really have any kind of ending. I can't make a choice if I think this was worth the money or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment