Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Book Review: The Drowning City by Amanda Downum

I took a break from conquering  the world in video games yesterday to read. I did this mostly because I have started to make the thinking too hard face so much that my face hurt. The bosses are getting harder. Anyway back to the book review.

I found this book because they had it on display at Barnes and Noble. I was in the mood for old timey spy mystery so I got it at the library. The story is that Isyllt and two body gourds are sent to this area to over throw the government there. They are doing this because this city is the seat of wealth of an empire that is looking to invade their own country.

The main character sucks as a spy, like majorly. I know this because I read Trickster's Choice by Tamora Pierce back in the day. That is how a spy is supposed to act when they are trying to over throw the government. Isyllt is also a necormancer. Which is kind of interesting but not really. There are other character's whose side of the story is told but I don't feel like looking up their names. Everyone but one character has odd names in this book, names I have no wish to try and respell.

The one thing that got to me was a lack of description of the characters. A few got key features explained and general skin tone was told for everyone. But I spent the entire book unsure as to what color Isyllt's hair was.

The world is every interesting but to many interesting or important ideas are brushed over quickly. It is very clear that this is a freshman effort at writing, but the second book in the series is already out so I plan to have a look at that too.

1 comment: